My Thoughts on Classroom Blog Design:
I like to keep the basic design of the blog pretty clean and as easy to read as possible. I regularly see blogs that are poorly designed and difficult to read. Here are a few tips from me to keep your blog lookin' spiffy! Feel free to print them out and tape them to your favorite shirt.
- Your student's artwork should be the star of the show.
- A blog is meant to convey information to the viewer. It should be easy to read.
- Try to avoid busy or overly chromatic backgrounds that distract from your content.
- Use value to your advantage. If you put red type on a blue background, your viewers may go cross-eyed. Scintillation should remain on black light posters.
- Use a legible typeface. Don't ever use Comic Sans. It won't ever be cute.
- Customize! I hate pulling work off the internet to use as a header. Show off your mad skills (skillz?) and create your own. I use one of the provided blogger templates as a general starting place for this blog, then I customize the wheels off of it using some easily available HTML. A custom header can give your blog an entirely different feel. I make my blog headers in Photoshop.
- Make navigation easy.
- Animated GIFs stopped being cool in 1997.
|Here is what the old header looked like. That beady eye was starting to creep me out.|