Instagram

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Storing In-Process Clay Projects

I have gotten several questions recently about keeping clay projects moist for longer periods of time. I've got ten minutes, so I'll give you a quick overview of what I do. I'm sure this isn't the only way to do it, but this method has worked for me for many years. 


Step 1 - Put clay projects onto a cafeteria tray with a layer of paper towels
underneath. I always label the tray with the teacher's name on a piece of tape.
Step 2 - Grab 4-6 paper towels per tray. Wet them,
 then squeeze them so they aren't too wet.
Step 3 - Drape the damp paper towels over the projects.
Step 4 - Place the whole tray in a plastic garbage bag.
(I get mine from our awesome custodian.) I then fold the open
end under the tray and label the bag with the teacher's name. 
Using this method, I can keep clay projects wet almost indefinitely. Just re-wet the paper towels a bit after each class. If there is a longer break in the middle of a project, I'll just squirt a little water into each bag to make up for any loss of moisture. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this process keep the clay dry for weeks at a time. I love this project but worryy about clay drying out because I see each class usually once a week.

Zach Stoller said...

It does. I do a slab built castle with 4th grade that takes 4-5 classes. I only see my students every four days.