Instagram

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

2nd Grade Egyptian Cats and Dogs







It is that time of year again. 2nd grade Egyptian project time. This is a pretty universally successful project and my students really enjoy it. It combines drawing, painting (with GOLD paint), and oil pastels. 

Kids are fascinated with ancient Egypt and really enjoy getting to know the culture better. I have a great video that I show at the beginning of the project. It has all kinds of cool facts about ancient Egypt. The best part for me is watching the faces of my students when they talk about taking the brain out of people in order to make a mummy! 

I always ask my students to limit the color on their animals to colors that the animals could actually be in real life. One girl came up to me and asked if she could color her cat red. I asked whether cats are red in real life. She looked at me with a very serious look and said, "You can dye a cat red." Well played, kid. Well played. 

Check out my lesson plan here!

No comments: