Instagram

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

4th Grade Abstract Tint Painting

Before I do anything else in this post, let me tell you how proud I am of my 4th graders. They absolutely killed this project. When it comes to detailed painting, I never know quite what to expect. These 4th graders once again did some absolutely amazing work. 

After starting out the year with the totem pole project, 4th grade students were itching to do some painting. This project let them go nuts with just that. We talked about abstract and non-objective artwork and looked at several examples. After that, students used whatever method they wanted to design an abstract composition. I only asked that it have overlapping shapes. 

The painting portion of the project consisted of using two colors and their tints. Of course we got to break out the mixing trays; this is always a big hit. Kids just love to mix paint. It's simple. 

The project was finished with some black lines around the original shapes that had been drawn. Students chose between doing this with paint or black crayon. I think the project turned out wonderfully. 

Download the lesson plan here!

5 comments:

Aimee Fresia said...

These are beautiful!

Phyl said...

Really nice! Pinning!

Ms. Filloux said...

HI Sorry to invade 4th Grade Abstract Painting. I actually have a question for you. I am trying to set up e-portfolios for my 7th and 8th grade student's art. Do you know of a good platform? I love your blog.
Thanks
Ms Filloux in Montana

Zach Stoller said...

Thanks! Is it something you want to have published online? You may even have kids set up blogs for that. The elementary art teachers in my district are working on setting up digital portfolios for our students. We're planning on using iPads to have students photograph their own work and then upload it to the district server. I haven't gotten into it too much, so I'm not sure what will actually work best.

Ms. Filloux said...

Thanks Zach,
Blogs are a possibility. I am also realizing that it is prob. too hard to do this all on my own. Just wish there was a program out there for teachers that would make it easier.
have a fun art day